Graphite 1.0.0 is now available for usage. This marks the first release of Graphite’s main line in many years. Also, there’s a new optional component available: Carbonate, a suite of tools for managing and rebalancing Whisper files.
Most users will only need to install the Graphite-Web, Carbon, and Whisper components.
Source bundles are available from GitHub:
Graphite can also be installed from PyPI via pip. PyPI bundles are here:
Graphite-Web requires Python 2.7 or newer and Django version 1.9. Carbon requires Twisted version 13.2 or newer. There are a number of new features in this release, but we’ve been careful to avoid any behaviorial regressions in the default settings files. You’ll want to review the new Graphite-Web and Carbon service options in the
carbon.conf.example files, respectively, before merging those into your production configurations.
If you’re not already running from the master branch, Graphite-Web’s application database will need to be upgraded . It’s a good idea to backup the database before proceeding with the migration. The following steps will upgrade a SQLite database:
sudo cp /opt/graphite/storage/graphite.db \ /opt/graphite/storage/graphite.db.backup-`date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S` sudo PYTHONPATH=/opt/graphite/webapp django-admin.py migrate \ --noinput --settings=graphite.settings --run-syncdb
A new document is available for developers and contributors that covers how to setup your own development environment, and running & writing tests.
We’re also happy to publish a new document for Graphite Events. It covers the storage, creation, retrieval, and management of events used for annotation or tracking release-style events.
- XSS issue affecting saved graph definitions. Targets are now properly sanitized before being handed back to the user.
New Render Functions¶
See the functions documentation for more information.
New Display Formats¶
New Graph Parameters¶
- Render infinite values correctly for compatibility with JSON consumers (e.g. Grafana).
- Fix for
aliasByMetricto handle trailing parentheses properly.
- Some functions would not handle
eventtags formatting. The format for these strings has been fixed.
- Improved data extraction from CarbonLink cache when crossing archive boundaries.
- Follow symlinks for RRD files.
- Unicode fixes for RRD paths.
- Support for the FNV1a_ch hashing algorithm used by the carbon-c-relay project.
- Fix for
smartSummarizewhere it would discard timezone information, sometimes resulting in an exception due to broken intervals.
- Better handling for missing data in the divisor series for
- Fix function name reported in path expression for
countSeriesfunction will now return zeroes instead of an empty series.
constantLinefunction can now be rendered without any other series.
- Incorrect float format across a variety of functions.
- Fix “thousands” unit for y-axis.
- Average/current/max/min Above/Below functions not fails if there is no data.
- Fix blank space below the legend
- Update the command to setup a new database
- aliasByNode(): support all chars allowed by the grammar
- Avoid duplication of aggregator statistics by using a dedicated pipeline.
- Log incorrect schemas missing the
- Improved logging for writer create or update failures.
- Fix long-standing issue with negative cache size statistic.
- Use the correct
- Fix race condition possible when queue is full and destinations reconnect.
--profileoption for recording performance data.
- Improved help documentation in the Composer.
- Compute seconds_left rightly in util.
- Better handling for failed creates.
- Import manhole and amqp correctly
- Fix CacheManagementHandler() and associated tests
- remove xFilesFactor float comparison, use whisper-resize if whisper-resize.py is not available
- (fix) [FreeBSD-i386] correct size of off_t in posix_fallocate call
- whisper-auto-resize.py: error fix
- double-fix bad commit to whisper-resize
- whisper-auto-resize: fix default values for xFilesFactor and aggregationMethod
- Fix indentation on CACHE_HEADERS, not related to AUTOFLUSH
- rrd2whisper: fix relative destinationpaths
- Brand new clustering implementation using a pool of worker threads and persistent connections to backends
- New Graphite logo in the Composer banner.
- Pluggable storage finders have been added. This allows graphite to fetch data from other datastores than Whisper or Ceres. See the storage finder docs for more information.
- The search index file is now generated with the
build-indexcommand that has been rewritten in Python.
build-index.shis still available but is just an alias to
CONTENT_DIRsetting has been replaced with
STATIC_ROOTand now allows to easily serve non-graphite static files such as Django admin’s. See the configuration docs for usage instructions.
- Tox is now used for running the tests locally across the supported Django and Python version combinations. A section about working on graphite-web has been added to the documentation.
- Python’s own log rotation can be disabled using the LOG_ROTATION setting. This is useful when running multiple WSGI workers.
- The events API now requires
tagsto be an array when creating tagged events. Previous versions only accepted string attributes. Tags are also serialized as arrays.
- Enhancements and optimizations to brace expansion for wildcards.
- Graphite Dashboards support absolute time ranges passed in the URL.
- Dumping the known metrics list with
/metrics/index.jsonnow includes RRD metrics.
- Improved support for special characters in metric names.
- Support for jsonp requests in the metrics view.
- New “refresh” button in the metrics tree navigation panel.
- Refresh all visible nodes in the metrics tree navigation view, not just the current node level.
- Support for globstar matching in target paths.
- Introduce the
MAX_TAG_LENGTHsetting for overriding the maximum tag length for events.
- Ability to retrieve a single event via the API. Previously you would have to dump the entire events database to inspect any events.
DATE_FORMATsetting for overriding the short date format.
nodelistformat for the metrics find view. This mode makes it easier for clients to query metric node information from the API.
- Ability to pass units suffix string (e.g. “Kb”) to
- Interpolate across null values in
- Dashboards are now sorted alphabetically in the finder.
- Support for unicode in rendered graph text.
- Improved sorting of saved graphs.
- Event times are now converted to local time to align with query times.
- Faster calculation algorithm for
- Automatically close the Dashboard’s upper navigation panel if the dashboard was loaded by a parameterized URL.
- Cluster servers can now communicate over HTTPS when
- Readers are more resilient to the loss of a single backend
- Support whisper aggregation method “last”
- Improve json rendering performance
- Allow to override Memcache options easily
- Make readers.py more easilly importable by moving away models
- Support 0.9.x backends in 1.0.0 cluster
- hange deprecated request.REQUEST
- Decreasing number of stat syscalls dramatically using scandir module
- Add json format option for find api
- Forward HTTP request headers to CLUSTER_HOSTS
- Pre-load each graph image before updating the dashboard UI
- Fix incorrect display of ‘title’ URI parameter
- prevent repeated series evaluations for hitcount and smartSummarize
- Support for pluggable protocols and clients. Support for protobuf was added, existing protocols have been ported over to use the new design.
- Support for pluggable routers, including new
fast-aggregated-hashingrelay methods based on MurmurHash3.
CERES_NODE_CACHING_BEHAVIORfor tuning Ceres’ caching behavior.
- Aggregators now report
- Remove unused
WHISPER_FADVISE_RANDOMas an option to avoid disk thrashing in certain scenarios.
- Support for
MAX_RECEIVER_CONNECTIONSto limit the number of TCP connections to the intended Carbon service.
- Listeners will include metric path details when logging due to invalid line submission.
- Support logging to syslog with the
- Allow Manhole to operate with no passphrase.
--profilerruntime option for specifying the profiler.
- Add support for IPv6 addresses enclosed in square brackets in the destination parser.
- Add LOG_CREATES to disable creation logs
- Enforce better syslog tag
- Update carbon.amqp.conf.example
- Add protobuf support
- Add MIN_TIMESTAMP_RESOLUTION
- Fix CACHE_WRITE_STRATEGY and add TimeSortedStrategy
- Add fallocate and sparse support in whisper-create
- use whisper-resize if whisper-resize.py is not available
- Support FADVISE_RANDOM for create/update/update_many
- rrd2whisper.py: Only suffix wsp files if required
- whisper-fill: move to optparse, add whisper file locking
- whisper-auto-resize.py: allow subdir to be a single file
- Faster evaluation for ‘last’ aggregation method
- Add update-storage-times.py - a tool to change storage schemas for whisper files
and update the data. Threaded to vastly improve speed over whisper-auto-resize.py
- whisper: disable buffering for update operations
- whisper-diff improvement: new until param
- Add optional destinationPath for rrd2whisper
- added json output to whisper-diff.py script
- setup: install contrib scripts
- Make indentation consistent in files with mixed indentation
- Add whisper-set-xfilesfactor.py utility
- parseRetentionDef: raise more descriptive exception on wrong retention
- whisper resize: don’t attempt to merge empty files
- whisper-fetch whisper-auto-update: validate if whisper.fetch() returned data